Jobs after 50: Advice on what you need to do to get your dream job once you hit 50.
Are There Any Jobs for People Over 50?
The last four years have been very tough for job seekers in general, and for older job seekers in particular. But it’s not impossible – it just may take a bit longer. In fact, some positions prefer the older wiser job applicant, as long as you have the right attitude.
If you choose to focus on the negatives, however, your lack of confidence will show in job interviews and actually reduce your chances of finding a job. Read my recent blog about the importance of staying confident. If you go into an interview thinking “I wonder if they can tell how old I am?” Or, “I don’t have a chance for this job.” You’ll be focusing on the wrong things and it will negatively affect your body language, your voice and the words you choose in your interview.
Tips on Finding Jobs After 50:
- Do whatever it takes to keep a positive attitude.
- Use your network of contacts. You probably have a lot of them and most are willing to help.
- Focus on what you have to offer – experience, skills and qualifications
- Keep your resume to two pages. Don’t include everything – focus on the last 15 years.
- Make sure you are up-to-date on the latest skills in your profession
- Show a willingness to learn, adapt, change
If you are 50+ and have a job search story to tell, I’d like to hear from you. We can all learn from each other. But I’d say the most important things you can do are: (1) keep looking and (2) keep a positive attitude. I know – easier said than done – but do it!
Let's ChatI'd love to help you market yourself or your business. Please fill out the form below to contact me and I'll get back to you within one business day.
Comments or questions are welcome.